About Game Night
Our ‘Game Night’ sessions run 1830-2000 every Wednesday evening at The Branksome Centre (weather permitting!) over Spring and Summer. These sessions are FREE to club members
Sessions are aimed at club members aged 14+ to play with the club coaches and non-member adult volunteer players in order to improve member standards. We aim to have max 12 players per session; typically 4 adult players and 8 member players.
There are no drills or frills; after a quick warm-up we make up the 2 teams and are straight into ‘scrimmage’ 5 x 5 style basketball matches for 2 x 30 minute halves.
Check out our Game Night structure below:
- Emphasis on fun, showing off a few moves, yet competitive and selfless play
- Objective is to improve the member players performance by giving them additional court time per week in a game setting, with experienced adult players there to push the member players’ competitive edge
- 12 players max per session; 4 adult players max, 8 member players ideally, spread out as evenly as possible.
- 5 x 5 standard rules (8 seconds over midcourt, approx 24 secs to shoot, free throws etc) but running clock, 2 points for outside arc, 1 point for inside
- Warm up until around 1845, 2 x 30 min games, quick break between games for water and team tactic talk, wind up 1950 allowing for quick feedback session and pack up time
- Subs every 5 mins using our fair ‘rotation system’; all member players go off once per game
- Subs act as refs
- No full-court-press; defence must start when offense is past their half-court
- Darren and John are players; no coaching from the side-lines but can provide in-play coaching tips at times
- Limited/zero swearing; minors on court!
- Limited trash talk; the premise of these sessions is to encourage not intimidate!
Please note that due to the high-intensity and experienced level of play required, inclusion into these sessions is through prior arrangement with Coach John.
Our Latest Posts
Check out our latest Instagram posts.