Updated: 30th May, 2023
Poole Piranhas are running trials for the Dorset Basketball Association (DBA) Juniors ‘Local League’ 23/24 season once again in June.
We are looking for team members to form a new line up for our brand new U10s category, our U12s, U14s, U16s and U18s teams for the season ahead.
Teams can include players who have been in one of our teams already, or not. We will only have 10 players in the U10s (as U10s teams play 4×4), and 14 players in our U12s, U14s, U16s and U18s. Trials will only include up to 18 players for U10s, and 22 players trialling for the U12s, U14s, U16s and U18s. With around 80 eligible club players per age related team, players will really need to prove to the coaches that they have what it takes – skills, work ethic, sweat, and the commitment level – to be selected for one of the teams, and to remain in a team for the season.
We expect the 23/24 season to start in October although with the new age category and potential other clubs joining the DBA Juniors, we could start as early as September! We are also for the first time introducing an ‘Application’ process prior to invites coming out. As such, the plan is as follows:
- March and April: Coaches will be keeping an eye on player potential for IF they get invited to trials. Players will need to work on what they feel are their core strengths and develop any areas of weakness. However we have some minimum standards these being:
- Layups (uncontested): on a typical day should be able to make 70%+ strong hand, 50%+ weak hand
- Jump shots (uncontested) on a typical day should be able to make 30%+ within the key/lane area
- Speed: on a typical day should be able to sprint the Bourne Academy gym length 5 times in 60 seconds.
- May: In the May club ‘Newsletter’, a link will be provided to the ‘Application form’ that will contain key details and requirements for players wishing to join team trials. This ‘Application form’ link is also available through the button below. Players will send in their application, detailing why they would like to be in a team, and what they feel they can offer to a team. The deadline for applications will be 8pm on 28th May. By 1st June, invitations along with trial conditions details will go out based on the applications received and who the coaches wish to take forward.
- June: Trials will take place over the four Sundays; 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th June at The Bourne Academy. U10s will be at 1pm, U12s will be at 2pm, U14s 3pm, U16s 4pm and U18s 5pm. Decisions will be made on which players are to be issued invitations to officially join a team by Friday 30th.
- July: From Sunday 2nd July, our chosen players will start to train in their teams.
- August: Training continues and some basic ‘homework’ will be issued to ensure our players are all on the same page and keeping up their skills during any time away through the holiday period.
- September: From Sunday 3rd September we expect at least 75% attendance from each player each week.
- October: The season is expected to begin. Dates TBC.
– Team members from the 22/23 season who do not make it to trials will be offered a space in one of our many regular training groups from w.c 29th May.
– For those who come to trials, this will count towards their session for the week. Therefore players in trials should not come to their regular training session aswell over June.
– Those who came to trials but unsuccessful in obtaining a slot, will be offered a space in one of our many regular training groups from w.c 26th June.
Although we would really like to offer the chance for every club member to be in a team, we are aware that spaces are extremely limited. Therefore those who are not chosen for a team will have chance over the season to play internal club matches and tournaments.